International Graduate Students
All international applicants must supply the following admission materials:
- Application for Admission: including the application fee ($50.00).
- One copy of Official Transcripts: From all schools attended since high school (secondary school).
- Transcript Evaluation: International applicants who have completed their postsecondary education from an institution outside the United States (U.S.) must hold a degree from a university recognized by the Ministry of Education as a degree granting institution. Transcripts from an international institution must be translated and evaluated by a U.S. transcript evaluation service (e.g., Educational Credential Evaluators, International Education Research Foundation or World Education Services) before the application is considered for admission. For applicants to any of the LMU Frank R. Seaver College of Science and Engineering or LMU School of Film and Television graduate programs a course-by-course transcript evaluation identifying your GPA must be submitted along with the application.
- Additional Materials: Most programs require additional materials, including standardized test scores, a personal statement, and letters of recommendation. Please see our programs page for admissions requirements for your program of interest.
- TOEFL/IELTS: All applicants must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) unless they received a high school diploma or a bachelor's degree in the United States. Exceptions to this rule may be made for students from countries where English is one of several official languages, as well as at the discretion of the program director or school dean. The minimum TOEFL score for admission into most graduate programs is 100 internet-based (IELTS Overall Band Score of 7) except for programs within the Seaver College of Science and Engineering, which require a minimum score of 79 internet-based (IELTS Overall Band Score of 6.5). Please request that ETS send your scores to LMU Graduate Admissions. The Institution Code for LMU is 4403.
Although there is no difference between international and domestic applicant admissions deadlines, international applicants are encouraged to submit their application and materials at least three months prior to the first term of their enrollment.
Office for International Students + Scholars (OISS): OISS provides assistance to international students at Loyola Marymount University related to maintaining non-immigrant status under LMU’s international programs and complying with the regulations of the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS), and the U.S. Department of State.
- SEVIS I-20 Request Form: You will be sent an email from MyStatus to initiate the I-20 Request, which will require you to upload official documents verifying funds to cover tuition and living expenses for your entire enrollment period at LMU.
- Visa Requirements: Applicants must obtain an international student visa (F-1) from the U.S. Embassy in order to enter the United States. Upon the applicant's acceptance into the University, an I-20 Certificate will be issued to the student as soon as all the required documents have been received by OISS.
A limited number of shared rooms are available for graduate students off campus. The University does not provide housing for married students. For more information regarding student housing, please see our Student Housing page.
International students at LMU are required to enroll in both the injury and sickness health insurance plans. Waiving of this requirement is allowed, however, the student must show proof of an alternate insurance which is comparable to LMU's Student Health Insurance Plan. Documents containing information of an alternate insurance should be presented to OISS or Student Accounts to be considered for a waiver.