International Students

International Students

Admission Requirements

Loyola Marymount University welcomes applications from students without regard to race, color, gender, creed, national origin, disability, marital status, or religion.

All prospective graduate students are expected to provide evidence of suitable preparation for graduate level work and must comply with passport and visa requirements as set down by the United States Immigration Service. International students must be continuously enrolled during the academic year to meet visa requirements. All admission requirements should be completed at least ninety days prior to the term for which the application is being made. An international student cannot be issued an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility as a non-degree graduate student.

All international applicants must supply the following admission materials:

  • Application for Admission: including the application fee ($50.00)
  • Two copies of Official Transcripts: From all schools attended since high school.
  • Transcript Evaluation: International applicants who have completed their postsecondary education from an institution outside the U.S. must hold a degree from a university recognized by the Ministry of Education as a degree granting institution. Transcripts from an international institution must be translated and evaluated by a U.S. transcript evaluation service (e.g. Global Services Associates Educational Credential Evaluators , International Education Research Foundation  or World Education Services  - please note, the School of Education does not accept transcript evaluations from Global Services Associates) before the application is considered for admission. The purpose of the evaluation is to verify that your postsecondary degree is the equivalent of a U.S. Bachelor’s degree. For applicants to the College of Science and Engineering, School of Education, School of Film and Television, and Marital and Family Therapy program, a course-by-course transcript evaluation identifying your GPA must be submitted along with the application.  
  • Additional Materials: Most programs require additional materials, including standardized test scores, a personal statement, and letters of recommendation. Please see our programs page for admissions requirements for your program of interest.
  • TOEFL/IELTS: Please check individual program pages in the University Bulletin for IELTS requirements. All applicants must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) unless they received a high school diploma or a bachelor's degree in the United States. Exceptions to this rule may be made for students from countries where English is one of several official languages, as well as at the discretion of the program director. For students in the School of Education, exceptions may be made at the discretion of the School Dean. The minimum TOEFL score for admission into most graduate programs is 100 internet-based (IELTS Overall Band Score of 7) except for the College of Science and Engineering, which requires a minimum score of 79 internet-based (IELTS Overall Band Score of 6.5). For information regarding the TOEFL, please go to: (Note: If, after admission to a graduate program, the applicant's proficiency in English should prove inadequate, the University reserves the right to require additional proficiency in English. Failure to comply will result in disqualification from the graduate program.) Please request that ETS send your scores to LMU Graduate Admissions. The Institution Code for LMU is 4403. 


Although there is no difference between international applicant and domestic admissions deadlines, international applicants are encouraged to submit their application and materials at least three months prior to the term they would like to begin. Additionally, the Graduate Admissions office encourages you to apply as early as possible.

 All application materials should be mailed to: 

                   Graduate Admissions
                   Loyola Marymount University
                   1 LMU Drive, Suite 1840
                   Los Angeles, CA 90045-2659


Newly Accepted Students

Office for International Students + Scholars (OISS): OISS provides vital immigration assistance to international students at Loyola Marymount University. OISS provides assistance in matters related to maintaining non-immigrant status under LMU’s international programs and complying with the regulations of the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS), and the U.S. Department of State.

Once admitted:

  • SEVIS I-20 Request Form: You will be sent an email from MyStatus to initiate the I-20 Request, which will require you to upload official documents verifying funds to cover tuition and living expenses for your entire enrollment period at LMU. This verification document should be from either a United States bank or agency or an international bank. The Form I-20 Certificate of Eligibility will not be issued by the University until such documentation is on file with OISS.
  • Visa Requirements: Applicants must obtain an international student visa (F-1) from the U.S. Embassy in order to enter the United States. The I-20 Certificate of Eligibility cannot be issued until the SEVIS I-20 Request Form (please see above) is submitted online via MyStatus. Upon the applicant's acceptance into the University, an I-20 Certificate will be issued to the student as soon as all the required documents have been received by OISS. OISS will provide detailed information and facilitate in obtaining your student visa from the U.S. Embassy.


A limited number of shared rooms are available. The University does not provide housing for married students. For more information regarding student housing, please see our Student Housing page.


Financial Aid

International students are eligible for LMU grants, scholarships and assistantships. Please see the Graduate Financial Aid website for more information. 


Health & Health Insurance

International students at LMU are required to enroll in both the injury and sickness insurance plans. Waiving of this requirement is allowed, however, the student must show proof of an alternate insurance which is comparable to LMU's Student Health Insurance Plan. Documents containing information of an alternate insurance should be presented to OISS or Student Accounts to be considered for a waiver.